Watery, itchy allergy eyes are the worst. When you’re wearing contacts the problem can feel even more extreme. Find relief this allergy season at Will Vision and Laser Centers. Never fear allergy season again!
How Do Seasonal Allergies Affect the Eyes?
Seasonal allergies may be short-lived, but while they are raging, they are miserable. Eye allergy symptoms are often some of the bothersome allergy symptoms and include itching, redness, burning, and tears. Allergies can also cause irritation to the delicate tissues around the eyes, causing puffy eyelids and dark circles under the eyes.
Allergies occur when the immune system responds to a foreign substance. In the case of seasonal allergies, pollen is often the culprit. Your immune system mistakes the pollen, or other substance, as harmful and produces antibodies to fight it. This leads to allergy symptoms.
Since allergens are often circulating in the air, it can be very difficult to avoid them. Medications for treating allergies can cause uncomfortable side effects including drowsiness.
Allergies and Contacts- Do Contact Lenses Really Make Allergies Worse?
Some eye doctors believe that contacts make seasonal allergies worse. The contact lens traps allergens on the eye. We’ve seen patients with intense allergy symptoms on the eye and the eyelid, caused by a continuous exposure to an allergen when wearing contacts. Allergies can even make contact lens users intolerant to some lens types with regular exposure, especially if you’re already sensitive to the lenses.
Contacts can require quite a bit of touching. You place them in your eyes using your finger, remove them with a finger, and reposition them with your finger. During allergy season, this can place allergens directly into the eye increasing your unpleasant symptoms.
Even if your contacts don’t make allergies worse, lenses can be difficult to wear while you have active allergy symptoms. Watery eyes can make contacts very uncomfortable and may even interfere with your ability to keep them in. All in all, allergy time can be miserable for contact lens wearers.
Find Relief with LASIK
What’s the solution to the allergy eyes and contacts dilemma? We suggest LASIK surgery. While contacts temporarily correct refractive errors caused by a misshapen eye, LASIK changes the shape of the eye, permanently correcting vision. LASIK surgery offers long-term results that will last through allergy season and beyond, year after year.
LASIK doesn’t just offer benefits during allergy season, our patients enjoy clearer, more convenient vision all year round. Here are a few of the many benefits of LASIK surgery:
- No More Glasses or Contacts- Glasses and contacts can be annoying. Many LASIK patients no longer need corrective eyewear. Say goodbye to glasses or contacts for good.
- Better Vision– Dr. Will uses the latest LASIK equipment and technologies to provide precise, effective vision correction. Many of our patients enjoy better vision after LASIK surgery, often achieving 20/20 vision or better.
- Convenience During Water Sports, Exercise, and Other Activities– Live an active lifestyle without the inconvenience of corrective eyewear. With LASIK you won’t have to worry about sweaty or dirty lenses, broken glasses, or the dangers of wearing contacts in the water.
- Immediate Vision Correction– Don’t wait around for better vision. Our LASIK patients typically see improvement immediately after surgery or within the next day or two.
- Long Lasting Results– LASIK results last and last. Many patients will never need LASIK again. If your vision changes, follow-up treatments are quick and can often restore better vision again.
- Minimal Downtime- LASIK requires minimal downtime. Many patients return to work in a day or two. Symptoms are minimal after surgery and are easily managed with a few simple tips we’ll share with you at the time of your procedure.
- Financial Savings– LASIK is an investment in your vision, but for many, it is an investment that pays off financially. The convenience of better vision that you’ll experience after LASIK is priceless, but you’ll also save money on glasses and contacts, an expense that adds up over time. Pay for LASIK once and enjoy results for years.
- Improved Self-Confidence– Many patients report an improvement in their self-confidence after LASIK surgery.
Learn More About LASIK Today
Don’t let seasonal allergies run the show. If you’re tired of watery, red, itchy eyes or the uncomfortable side effects of allergy medication, come see us. LASIK surgery may help you find relief from allergy symptoms. It can also improve your vision and increase your quality of life.
Dr. Will is a top refractive surgeon serving the Pacific Northwest. Schedule a consultation at Will Vision and Laser Centers to learn more about your options for vision correction. Call today!