Are you planning your LASIK procedure and want to know how to ensure that your recovery period is problem-free? If you’re like most people, you likely want to know what to do — and what to avoid — for optimal results, which is why many people wonder how much of an effect rubbing your eyes can have during your recovery. Dr. Brian Will of Will Vision & Laser Centers has the answer to this quandary in his latest blog post.
Eye Rubbing after LASIK – Why Be Careful?
Immediately following your LASIK procedure, you will be sent home wearing a pair of goggles meant to protect your eyes as they heal. Eye protection is necessary at this time, as the flap made in your cornea during surgery is now closing (as part of the body’s natural healing process). Rubbing or touching the eye at this time could cause the flap to become displaced, hindering the healing process and having an adverse effect on your vision. Though this complication is rather rare, it should still be considered and avoided through proper after-surgery care methods.
So just how long should you avoid rubbing your eyes after LASIK? As a good rule of thumb, you should only put light pressure (with no rubbing) on the eyes for the first two weeks post-op. After this time, and for a couple of months, it is okay to gently rub your eyes.
More Tips for a Safe LASIK Recovery
What other ways can you ensure a safe recovery with the best results? Here are some things to do, and some things not to do, during your recovery period:
- Wear eye protection day and night for the first three days
- Rest the day of surgery
- Expect slight redness and eye irritation for the first few days
- Wear dark sunglasses that block UV rays when in sunlight
- Use artificial tears to keep eyes lubricated
- Keep your follow-up appointments with your doctor, to check your healing
- Drive for the first 24 hours
- Read, watch TV or work on the computer for the first 24 hours
- Exercise for one week
- Apply lotions, creams or makeup to your eye area for one week
- Use swimming pools or hot tubs for two weeks
Schedule Your LASIK Consultation Right Now
Would you like to be free of the shackles of wearing glasses or contact lenses? Do you want clear vision from a fast, safe and painless procedure? To find out if you’re a candidate for LASIK surgery, schedule a consultation with Dr. Will at Will Vision & Laser Centers by calling (877) 542-EYES (3937) today.